Sunday, March 20, 2011

Being Thankful

Day 6 Post Op
Yesterday morning (Saturday) I managed to join Pete in a modified version of our regular Saturday ritual - getting coffee and croissants from Jean-Paul's, then sitting on a bench overlooking Diver's Cove to have breakfast. Normally, we then go our separate ways for a walk - separate, because we have different ideas of what a "walk" should be. Pete refers to my pace as a "forced march" and I refer to his as a "stroll". But my current speed is perhaps "ambling". So we ambled to Crescent Bay Park, one of the prettiest little parks in Laguna, and a special spot for us because it is where we were married. Pete thinks our round trip was about a mile, but I think it was less. No matter. I did need to spend the rest of the day just resting, but this was another good step forward.

I continued to cut back on painkillers, and I think that in a day or two I will be off the Percocet entirely and just using the muscle relaxers. Output from my drains is less and less, and I am hoping that at my next doctor's visit, this coming Tuesday, I will be able to have them out.

Being thankful, Part 1
Throughout this experience there have been many, many, many circumstances and people I am thankful for, and I would like to start mentioning them. Not all at once, and not in any order of priority - except for the first one: Pete. I am certain that this has been as hard on him, if not harder, than it is on me. Being the caregiver and supportive spouse is a difficult, mostly unsung role. So much attention - from doctors, nurses, family, friends, even strangers - has been focused on me, and that love and support has given me so much. I honestly believe that his job in all this is harder than mine, and I am thankful that he does it so generously and unreservedly.

1 comment:

  1. Here's to Pete and his stiff upper lip, only one of his many charms, I'm sure.

    Congratulations on returning to normal life with such determination, Lorraine.

    ReplyDelete