Saturday, April 2, 2011

Almost Normal

Day 19 Post-Op
Our Saturday morning ritual is back to normal - after coffee & croissants on the bench at Diver's Cove, Pete and I went our separate ways for walking. I'm almost back to my usual pace. The exercise does cause my chest muscles to spasm, but when I mentioned this to Dr. Doezie at this week's visit, he didn't seem to think it was any cause for concern - he gave me the OK to go ahead with the walking & hiking.

I'm still quite restricted on what I can do with my arms, though - he says no lifting them above 90° for 4 weeks. At least I can now pick up slightly heavier objects. When I left the hospital I was instructed to not even lift a gallon of milk, but I can do that and a little more now.

Being Thankful, Part 5
I am normally resistant to new technology until the universe proves to me that said technology will, in fact, make my life easier and not just frustrate me with its glitches and deficiencies. But Mom & Mike generously sent me a Kindle as a get-well gift, and I love it. Not unreservedly, it does have some disadvantages over paper and ink books, but its light weight and the built-in booklight in the cover make reading in bed much more practical and comfortable, and I don't have to find creative ways to prop it open when I read at the dining table (as I have to with books).

So for this, and for the other friends & family who have helped to keep me entertained while I am recovering by giving me books, loaning me DVDs and sending me Amazon gift certificates (which I have used to load up the Kindle), I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment