Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Oncologist Consultation

Day 22 Post-Op
I had my oncology follow-up with Dr. Howard Cheng today. It was short & sweet - he confirmed that I don't need any further treatment. As I expected, because the hormone receptor tests were negative, no adjuvent therapy (such as tamoxifen) is called for.

But here's a surprise: I still have to do breast exams. What, one wonders, is left to examine? It seems that a thin layer of breast tissue is still left under the skin, even after a mastectomy. So he won't say that my chances of ever having breast cancer again are zero, but they are very, very, very, very, very, very, very (you get the idea) remote. So although mammograms will no longer be a part of my life, self-checks and an annual physician exam will be. Easy enough.

Being Thankful, Part 6
I am grateful every day that this was caught so early - that from the beginning everyone assured me that I would be fine. And that, consequently, my treatment does not require chemotherapy. So I am thankful, thankful, thankful for the early diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment