Friday, April 22, 2011

Physical Therapy

Day 39 Post-Op
Yesterday I went for my first physical therapy treatment. Fortunately, they are located not too far away, in Newport Center, which is closer than any of the other doctors I've been visiting.

I have to say they were quite gentle - they did not push me nearly as hard as I had been pushing myself during my week of do-it-yourself stretching. It seems that there is a philosophy other than "no pain, no gain"!

The problems I'm working on are:
1. chest and shoulder muscles, which feel tight because of the surgery & reconstruction process (and consequent lack of use),
2. neck pain, no doubt due to lack of normal moving & stretching these last 6 weeks, and also to the way I've had to sleep, and
3. a searing pain from my right underarm incision site down to my elbow, as a result of the sentinal node biopsy surgery. Fortunately, I only feel this when I stretch out that arm (not during normal daily activity), and it is getting better.

Other than that, I feel fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment